Monday, January 28, 2013

HSF: #2 UFO

It's Historical Sewing Fortnightly time again! This challenge was the UFO challenge. Alas, I had no historical UFOs so I chose one of the other options and made up an "unfinished idea" instead.


I had planned on making a vintage robe this fall and I'd even bought a pattern and fabric. Alas, when the vintage pattern came, it was missing a piece so I had to return it. :( I did have a 1930s style pj top pattern that I'd found free online a while ago so I snapped up a modern pj pattern for the bottoms and decided to finish my vintage lounge wear after all!


The Challenge: UFO (or UFI in my case.)

Fabric: 3 yds flannel backed satin ($5/yd)


Pattern: Butterick 3314 ($2) and Vera Venus Pattern 30s Style Pj Top (free)
Year: 1930s-ish


Notions: bias binding (stash), elastic (stash)


How historically accurate is it? Not really. The pants are modern but I did add some width to make them more 30s wide legged style. The blouse is 30s style but I'm not sure how accurate it is, not having made any 30s pjs before. So, we'll put it in the "inspired" category.
Hours to complete: 3 or so


First worn: January 27 to sleep in
Total cost: $17


Oh, these are so much more glamorous than my usual pjs!

***Edit*** So I slept in them last night and the armholes on the blouse are too small for sleeping! They were ok when I was just lounging around but I think I need to find some smaller bias binding so they'll be just a tad bigger.

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of flannel backed satin! They are very pretty I like the blue and black together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its warm but slippery and is often used as a lining for coats. The black is actually leftover from my Anise coat lining.

      Delete
  2. How was the fabric to sew with...I've just been wrestling with crepe backed satin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad. I did french seams as much as possible and the satin on satin part was kind of slippery but the flannel side grips itself really well.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely, serene colour - sort of like an evening periwinkle. Beautiful work!

    Wishing you a marvelous Monday & week ahead,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see my PJ top pattern made up, it's a very cute pj set on you!!
    The style is accurate for the period. If you ever make it again and want the armhole a little bigger just drop the armhole on the pattern 3/8 or 1/2 at the underarm and redraw the curve back up to the sleeve joining point.

    ReplyDelete