Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fashion and Film: White Christmas

One of my all time favorite movies, Christmas time or otherwise is White Christmas (1954). It's got great vintage fashions, music, dancing and a patriotic vein. The movie is about two war buddies Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) and Phil Davis (Danny Kayne) who become a wildly successful song and dance team after the war. They run into a dynamic singing duo, sisters Betty (Rosemary Clooney) and Judy (Vera-Ellen) Haynes and end up going to Vermont, America's winter playground, where the girls have been hired to entertain all winter. Upon arrival, Bob and Phil run into two surprises-the warmest winter on record (ie no snow) and Major General Waverly-their old general turned ski resort owner. Can these four turn around the financial situation for Waverly (after all, who goes to a ski resort with no snow?)? Will love blossom or fail? And most importantly, will there be a white Christmas?


I love this movie! Such a classic! It's title comes from the song White Christmas, made wildly popular by the film Holiday Inn (1942) which also starred Bing Crosby. (That's another great movie too!) I cannot recommend this film highly enough! It does get a bit crazy with the singing and dancing and showiness but I love that part.

I haven't watched it yet this year, but it's definitely going to happen!

On the way to Vermont!

Sisters, Sisters, never where there such devoted sisters.

Vera-Ellen looking gorgeous and tiny. I cannot get over the size of her waist!

One of my favorite dresses from the film.

*Sigh* such glamor

I love old military uniforms!

There's lots of vaudeville type musical scenes. What else would you expect with four sizziling performers playing four sizziling performers?

2 comments:

  1. We watched it while we set up the tree this year. That velvet dress is my favorite too! I will also be watching Holiday Inn sometime this week :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove this movie too!! I've already watched it this season :)

    Carrie
    In the Hammock Vintage

    ReplyDelete