Friday, August 13, 2010

Much Ado About Sewing

Today was the first day of Va-Voom Vintage's sew-along. Bright and early this morning, she had a very detailed post with pictures and directions. Not only did it make navigating the pattern directions much easier, Brittany wrote her post in a way that took the training wheels off slowly. It was a great help.

I have had some experience sewing. My grandma is a big quilter and I've done some quilting with her. Over Thanksgiving weekend 2008, I even made two quilts-one for me and one to send to my then fiance now husband while he was in Iraq. I also once hand sewed on a seemingly endless amount of lace to the hem of a vintage wedding dress that I removed the train from to turn into a Christine costume (that'd be Phantom of the Opera Christine, not crazy prom killer Christine). So, I'm pretty comfortable using a sewing machine and hand sewing.



But I'd never used a pattern before! I was pretty nervous last night, but after reading Brittany's post, I bravely charged forward! It was kind of difficult cutting the pieces out on my living room floor, but I think I did ok. We'll see tomorrow I guess.


While I cut pattern pieces, I watched the 1936 Romeo and Juliet. Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. Having already seen the 1968 and 1996 versions, I was still impressed. The costumes were lovely and the acting was great. I really liked the death scene at the end. I'm not a fan of Juliet's death in the '96 version (her last line is one of my favorites!) but this one past muster. It was a nice little film for me to watch while I was working on my apron.


Speaking of aprons, I could really have used mine today as I made peanut butter sandwich cookies to take to a friend's tonight. yummy!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I'm so glad that the instructions turned out okay! I was nervous! *lol*
    I actually have a cutting table, but it's in my basement and since I have to drag my baby with me, I just cut on the living room floor too! :) It's always hard with my 3 cats and baby who loves paper. She actually ripped piece number 6 while I was trying to take pics for this tutorial. What a STINKER!

    ReplyDelete